This being my 4th pregnancy, I have a lot of maternity clothes, so I really don't want to buy anymore. I do want something different, so I've decided to redo some of them. Here is one that I did, I just made ruffles for the front of it.
This is how I made it:
1) I took a shirt and an old skirt (I got it at a garage sale for $.25)
2) I then cut up the skirt into 2 strips. I cut these about 3 inches wides
3) To make the ruffles, I used a straight stitch. I put it all the longest width and stitch. I then sewed on side of the strip, about 1/2 inch away from the edge. Make sure to leave extra thread at the top and bottom of the strip
4) Next, I tied one end of the strip. The other end, I took the bobbin side of the thread and pulled it. This will make your ruffle. The more you pull, the tighter the ruffle. I did this for both of my strips
5) Once I got both of the strips to ruffle, I pinned them onto the shirt. Then with normal setting, I sewed the ruffles onto the shirt.
6) Next I wanted to make one big ruffles for the center of the shirt. To do this, I cut one strip 5 inches in width and the other one 3 inches in width. I then place the smaller one on top of the larger one and then sewed (with the longest settings) them together down the middle
7) I then pulled the bobbin thread and made it ruffle and then pinned it onto the shirt, in between the other two ruffles on the shirt and then sewed it.**** This is the part of the story that I try it on and realize that this is cute way for ruffles, but not for a maternity shirt. The bigger that I get, the more spread out the outer ruffles are, so I took off the outer ruffles.******
So this is what it looks like with just the middle ruffle, much better!!
I know that it is hard to see the ruffles with the black on black, but I promise that in person they are really cute!
I am posting this to these parties