I have a few baskets in my family room. They are just some "caught all" baskets. So I wanted to make a lining for them, so you can't see all the toys that are in them when they don't make it back to my boys' rooms.
Although there are a lot of steps, it's pretty simple (remember I am still a beginner at sewing)
So this is how I made the lining
1) I took a cute basket
2) I picked out my fabric. I found the striped one on clearance and the cream fabric is actually a bedskirt I picked up for a garage sale for $.50 ( I just couldn't pass it up even though I knew it wasn't the right size, glad that I did)
3) I measured my basket and then add about 1/2 inch to each side and then cut out all of the pieces
4) Putting the fronts together and making sure that I had the correct sides, I sewed a straight line to sew them together. My stitch was about 1/4 inch from the side. Make sure that the back of the fabric is facing up when you sew. Do that to all four side pieces
5) Once I sewed all four pieces together, it looked like a long piece of fabric
6) I then cut the strip of striped fabric (mine is 4 inches wide) and pinned it to the whole length of the inside fabric. Make sure to pin the front facing each other
7) I then sewed those two together, with the back of the fabric facing up
8) I then ironed a little section, to make sure it was nice a straight and then I sewed that.
9) I then put together the last two side and sewed them together
10) So now here is my "rectangle" without the bottom sewed on yet
11) Take the bottom piece and sew it to all four sides. Doing it the same way as before, putting the fronts together and sewing on the back. (sorry no picture, guess I forgot)
12) Put the lining into the basket and admire it!! You will want it to be a snug fit about the edges so when you put things in, it doesn't fall in too.And there it is! I love the color that it adds to the basket! I loved it so much that I did it for 4 baskets and plan on doing two more for my living room. I even want to do it for my boys' containers in their rooms. Just to hide the toys!!