When I saw this skirt, I just fell in love with it. I knew that I wanted to make one like it. So that's what I did :).
One day I was shopping at Target and found this round tablecloth for $3.75. It actually matches our kitchen perfectly and fits our table, but when I put it on the table, I realized that we are not tablecloth kinds of people. Just a little too fancy and formal for my liking :). So I used it for the skirt.
This is how I made it:
1) I cut two pieces of fabric. I wanted the skirt to be straight, so I just made a rectangle 20" wide and 26" long.
2)Then I cut the strips for the ruffles. I cut 6 strips 4"x44" and two strips 2"x44"
3) I hemmed the bottom of all 6 of the strips
4) Then I sewed a straight stitch on the other end for the ruffle. I used my longest length for the stitch
5) I pulled the thread through the strip and made the ruffle. I then pinned and sewed the ruffle onto the bottom of the fabric.
6) I did the same thing for the remaining strips. Then I pinned the next layer about an inch above the bottom layer. I did this for all three layers.
7) For the smaller strips, I used a zig zag stitch and sewed both edges of it. Then I used a straight stitch and long length and sewed in the middle of the strip for the ruffle.
8) I pinned the small ruffle onto the layered ruffles and sewed it on.
9) Once I was done with both pieces of fabric, I pinned together the fronts and sewed the sides together.
10) I used elastic for the top. I would have done a zipper but I didn't have one on hand at the time. I pinned the elastic onto the inside of the fabric.
11) Then I folded the fabric over the elastic and pinned it.
12) I then sewed the elastic to the skirt.