For the pillow case for Thanksgiving/fall, I have been wanting to make a pillow with a pumpkin for a long time. I love pumpkins! You can decorate with them for Halloween and then keep them until Thanksgiving! I went back and forth on how I was going to make it, then I finally settled on this idea. I love how it turned out!
This is how I made it:
On the way to craft store to pick up some orange fabric, I hit a huge garage sale. I found this shirt and about $.10. So I picked it up, I love saving money! :)
1) I cut the shirt up into several 1 1/4" strips.
2) Next I sewed them altogether to make one really long strip
3) Using my elastic thread in the bobbin, I made the strip ruffled. I used a straight stitch and my longest stitch setting.
4) I cut 3 pieces of fabric for the pillow, 18"x18" (front piece) and then 18"x16" and 18"x10". I the pinned the orange strip in the shape of the pumpkin. I then sewed that on and worked my way into the center.
5) I had a green sleeve left over for another project, so I cut it into strips and ruffled it like I did the orange strip. Then I made a stem and vines out of it and sewed it onto the fabric.
6) Next I cut out the word thankful with my Silhouette. I used brown heat transfer paper from Expressions Vinyl. I ironed it onto the fabric.
7) I hemmed the back two pieces.
8) Then I pinned fabric together, the front sides facing each other. The two back pieces overlap by about 6". I then sewed all four sides together.
9) I stuffed a pillow with an old pillow. Now I have a get pillow for fall!
Here's a close up of the pumpkin, I love the ruffles!!