We took family pictures recently and I really wanted to make somethings for them. So I made my daughter and me matching skirt/dress. I love how they turned out :). I got the idea from here.
This is how I made it:
1) First I wanted the front of my skirt to be 20"x26", so I cut 9 strips of fabrics, 20"x4". Then I cut 9 more for the back.
2) Next I cut the strips for the ruffles. I wanted 6 ruffles, so I cut them 16x4, 20x4, 24x4, 28x4, 32x4 and 36x4.
3) I hemmed and ruffled all 6 of those strips. I used elastic thread for the ruffles.
4) Next I took the 20x4 strips and started to sew them together. I sewed a 3/8" hem.
5) I sewed three strips together.
6) Before I did the fourth strip, I pinned a ruffle onto the front of it. I sandwiched the ruffle in between the 3rd and 4th strip. Then I sewed the ruffle into the front of the skirt.
7) I continued doing that until I finished the front of the skirt.
8) Next I worked on the back, it was much easier! I just sewed all 9 4x20" strips together.
9) I put the two sides together, ruffles in the middle and then sewed the sides. I made sure to match up each seam.
10) I then sewed down the top strip and put some elastic in there. And that's it!
I forgot to take a finished picture of my skirt..... but here's one of my little girl's dress!
Here is my little girl in her dress. She was freezing and didn't want anything to do with the pictures....
And here's both of us in our matching clothes!