We struggle with chores at our house. My kids aren't good at doing them and a lot of times it's a lot less frustrating for me to just do them instead of having to be the bad guy and constantly yell at my kids to get their chores done. Please tell me I'm not the only one!!
I have made my kids chore charts before. They got to build an ice cream cone and caterpillar as they did their chores.
They enjoyed it for about a week, and then the pieces got lost and then they stopped doing it and then I gave up.
Lately my kids have wanted to buy lots of toys, so we have started up the chores again. This time, I did something very simple. I put it on the fridge so they (and me) will be reminded about their chores everyday. Plus there are no pieces that can (and will) be lost!
This is how I made it:
1) I took a 9"x12" piece of chalkboard vinyl from Expressions Vinyl.
2) I made a mark every 1 1/2"
3) Then I added some white vinyl. I just cut them into little strips.
4) Then I added vinyl going down to make a grid.
6) Using transfer tape, I put the vinyl onto the fridge.
And that's it!
Each of my kids have a certain color of chalk, so that's how we keep track of their chores.
We have been using this chart for about 2 months now (the longest I have ever gone!!) and it seems to be working :).