One day I read on a blog that JoAnn's fabric had Star Wars fabric. I've been looking for it for awhile now, since my 5 year old loves Star Wars. So I decided to go to JoAnn's and check it out. I went in that day, so I had to take my kids. I would have saved money had I gone alone... sometimes I just can't say no.
We found the Star Wars fabric and my son got sooooo excited. I got excited too, but then I saw the price of it: $10/yard! I'm really trying hard not to spend money right now and just use what I have. I spent an hour and half in the store, trying to make a decision. I wanted to get it but I didn't want to spend the money. JoAnn's is about 20 minutes away and I don't get there very often. Then I learned that you can use other stores' coupons, and it happened that Hobby Lobby had the 40% coupon. So I got the fabric for $6/yard, not too horrible. If I'm going to spend that much money on fabric, I had to make him something practical, something that he needs. So I went with pjs. And really $6 for a pair pajamas isn't that bad, right?
This is how I made it:
1) I got 1 yard of the fabric. It was flannel, nice and soft :)
2) Using another pair of pajamas, I used them for my pattern. I folded the fabric and put the straight part of the pants onto the fold. I cut out two pieces.
3) I put the two pieces together and sewed the crotch. Then I sewed the legs. I don't know why I didn't take more pictures.... sorry. For a more detailed tutorial, go here.
4) For the shirt, I used my CAMEO and cut words out of the fabric. I then ironed it onto the shirt.
5) Then I sewed the words onto the shirt.
And now I have a very happy boy!!!
Check out these STAR WARS ideas:
Light Saber Pencils
Glowing Light Sabers
R2D2 Book Ends
Wrapping Paper Roll Light Saber
Freezer Pop Holders
Star Wars Valentine