One of my New Years Goals is to sew more projects for myself. So I started this year off with a simple paper bag style skirt. This project is fairly simple and took me about an hour to make. I think even a beginning sewer could start with this project. This is a quick sketch of my idea for this project.
-1.5-2 yards fabric (I used Sateen Cotton, but you can also use linen, cotton blends, or even taffeta. Something not too thin and that hangs well)
-a skirt zipper
-matching thread, pins, and a sewing machine.
CUTTING OUT YOUR PIECES:
1. Start by taking some measurements. Measure your waist and divide that in half. This will be the top measurement of your skirt from the fold.
EXAMPLE: 28 inch waist / 2 = 14 inches from the fold
3. Finally your last measurement will be the width at the bottom of the skirt. Add 3 inches to the top measurement and make a mark.
EXAMPLE: 14 inch waist + 3 inches = 17 inches wide
4. Now you will cut the side of the skirt connecting the top mark and bottom mark creating an a-line shape. This is the front of your skirt.
Repeat the same for the back of the skirt this time cutting on the selvage.
Here is what you end up with:
ASSEMBLE YOUR SKIRT
1. Start by sewing the front and back pieces of your skirt together at the sides with right sides facing.
2. Starting at the top of your skirt measure down 3 inches and then another 2.5 inches. The first marking is your fold and the second marking is the waist.
5. Now you are going to add your hem. Turn the bottom of your skirt up 1/4 inch and press down. Then turn it another 1/4 inch and press again. Sew this hemline down using a regular stitch.
7. Now you will create your sash. With right sides together sew along one end of the sash and down the length of the sash piece.
8. Finally finish your skirt off by adding the belt loops. Fold the raw edges of your 3x4inch pieces inward and press them down.
Now add your belt and your are DONE!