I posted this earlier on the Ribbon Retreat blog.
Most of you know that I just recently had my 4th little boy. With him being my fourth, I wanted to make sure that he got some new things because I really didn’t need anymore boy stuff. So I decided that I needed to make him a car seat tent. I didn’t want to do the traditional baby blue, so I went with reds, greys and black. I love how it turned out!
The Ribbon Retreat had just the right fabrics, exactly what I was looking for. I love their fabric selection. The chevron fabric are from the Moda line Mama Said Sew, the red is from Moda Dottie, the grey stripe is from Moda Jubilee and the grey and black dots are from the Riley Blake line Dots.
This is how I made it:
I cut each piece of fabric into 10×10 inch squares, four of them. So I had 20 squares all together.
Then I placed the squared on top of each other, with the back facing each other. This is opposite of what you usually do because the seam is on the outside. Make sure you are consistent with your seam, I sewed a 5/8” seam every time.
I did four squares per row.
Then I worked on sewing the rows together. Make sure to line up the seam of the squares and pinned them together. Place the backs together of one row to the next row and sew the 5/8” seam.
Here are all 5 rows sewn together.
Now for the rag part, cut slits into the seams about 1/2 inch apart.
Here is the whole thing all cut up.
Now for the straps. I originally planned on just having 2 straps but I placed them too far apart, so I had to improvise and make another for the middle. I cut them 3×10 but they would be better around 3×8 inches.
I placed the front sides together and sewed 3 of the sides.
Then I flipped it inside out and did a top stitched around all four sides. Then I sewed some Velcro onto the straps.
I placed the strap onto the tent, pinned it and then sewed a little rectangle directly onto the tent.
Once you are done with the straps, you will need to measure the whole thing. Mine was 36×45 inches, so I cut the back fabric to that size. I pinned the whole thing down onto the tent and then rounded the edges with a bowl and cut them.
I sewed all along the edge of the tent, leaving a little section open, so you can flipped it inside out.
Once it was flipped inside out, I did a top stitch all around the edge of the car seat tent. This closed the hole and makes it looks a ton better.
And here it is all finished!
And now my baby will be protected from the sun, wind and weather.
And here’s what the inside looks like, I think he’s going to like looking at it all the time!