I have seen a lot of tutorials to make a topiary around lately, so I thought that I would give it a try. A lot of them involved Styrofoam balls and I can’t handle the sound of Styrofoam, so I went a different route.
This is what you are going to need:
This is how I made it:
1) I blew up a balloon to the right size. I then taped the ends to make it look more like a circle and not an egg or oval
2) Using school glue, I combined it with water. I don’t remember how much of glue to water, but you need more glue than water. Then soak strips of newspaper in the mixture and put onto the balloon. I did about 3 layers. Sorry that I don’t have a picture, it’s a pretty messy step and I did it outside without the camera
3) This is what it will look like when the glue has dried. Surprisingly, it’s really hard (I’ve actually made pinatas doing this).
4) Now take whatever you are going to cover it with and glue it to the ball
5) I cut a small hole in the ball, this popped the balloon, and then glued the stick into the hole. I did spray paint the stick brown, just to give it a better color.
6) Stick it into a vase or pot. I used rocks to hold the stick.
I ran out of flowers or I would have done another layer of flowers to make it look fuller. A cute ribbon would look good too, maybe I’ll add that 🙂
I plan on using this technique to make some fun decor balls, so watch for those in the future 🙂
I’m linking this post to these parties