I have not been a big holiday decorator. I have decorated for Christmas and that’s about it. Well since I’ve started this blog and seen how people decorate and that you can do it without breaking the bank, I’ve decided to decorate a little more.
One big reason that I don’t like about decorating is that sometimes it feels like you have just gotten them out of storage and next thing you know, you’re putting them back into storage. Plus, I don’t know about you, but I really don’t have that much storage, so holiday decorations add to that problem.
So I’m going to decorate for the four seasons (I’ll decorate more for the bigger holidays). I am just going to switch the blocks and then filled up the vases with something else for each season (I’m going to put fake flowers in it for summer, leaves for fall and a little snowman for winter). This set of blocks are for spring/summer and I’m going to make another set for autumn/winter. You could do cubes because all four seasons have 6 letters, I didn’t because you can’t hide the side letters as well. This only cost me about $10 and it will last all year long!
So this is how I made it:
For the vases:
1) Using two vases and two candlesticks, I used this tutorial.
2) Using plastic eggs and Easter grass I filled the vase. I splattered painted the eggs with a brown for a little more texture and color. I didn’t put rub-ons on the other side, so I can just turn it around and fill it with something else.
For the wood blocks:
1) I took wood of the same thickness and cut them into various sizes, sanded them and painted them white.
2) Using mod podge, I put the paper and letters on the wood
3) My husband drilled a hole in the in the top of three blocks
4) I glued an alligator clip onto the back of the wooden bugs
5) I put metal poles into the holes and clipped the bugs and flower to the pole. I didn’t glue them in because I need to be able to rotate them and use them for my other blocks
And just like that I have a decoration that I can keep for three months 🙂
And on the other side says summer, so I can just turn it around when June comes and add a little wooden watermelon, flip flops or other summery things.
So for six months, I don’t have to do a thing except fill the vases and clip on a watermelon, that’s my kind of decor 🙂
I’m linking this post to these parties