One of my sweet friends made my boys some capes 2 years ago. They LOVE them but they just got to be too small. So I decided to make them some. I googled capes and I found this tutorial on Creation Corner.
We went to Hobby Lobby one weekend and I let the boys pick out their own fabric. I tried to direct them in one way, but they definitely have opinions. They both wanted gold. So we went with that. I actually like the gold and the best part, the edges don’t fray so I didn’t have to hem them!
It was so easy to make, most of the sewing was for the star in the middle. So here’s how I made it:
1) I measured my boys. I measure the shoulders and then the length, I added 3-4 inches for the collar. For the width of the bottom of the cape, I just figured about 30″ for my 6 year old and 24″ for my 2 year old.
2) Then I folded the piece of fabric in half. I made a patten for the neck. I made sure that it was 7 inches (half the distance between the shoulders) tall.
3) Then I cut a straight line from the end of the neck to the bottom of the cape. The bottom of the cape is 15″ wide (half of the 30″ that I wanted it to be)
4) I then sewed some velcro onto the neck straps
5) For the star and letter, I used my Silhouette and fabric interfacing paper and cut it out. I made the letter cut out of the middle because I could use less fabric and not have to sew as much, plus I used the K for my 2 year old’s cape.
6) I ironed on the K
7) Then I sewed it onto the cape.
I made matching cuffs too.
Here’s one that I did for my 2 year old. He doesn’t like it yet, but he will.